Tuesday 8 December 2015

Der Papierfuchs' first German Christmas market!

It was a cold and wintery morning, the car was packed with tables, decorations and the 'merchandise'. My husband and I were rugged up in jumpers, thermal underwear and thick winter jackets. It was time to do what I'd been wanting to do for years. Yes, I finally held a stall at a German Christmas market with my very own handmade jewellery.

Besides being a horribly cold and windy day, the day itself ran quite smoothly with only a few hiccups. The public were friendly and some were also generous, buying a few items. People were quite interested in the Memory Beads and I was able to hand out a few fliers to those interested.

Hubby kept me company and brought me delicious hot chocolate to warm my hands and belly. A champ indeed! It was almost like a date, the both of us sitting there chatting to each other when foot traffic was low. Even if I hadn't sold anything I still think being with my man all day would have been enough!

One of the most valuable part of the day was finally getting to meet the public and to hear what they had to say about the jewellery. A lot of people were excited by the Memory Beads, commenting that it was something they'd never seen before and which they liked. Unfortunately a lot of people were more interested in stud earrings rather than drop earrings (which was all I had), which cost me a fair few sales. I also got the feeling that the German ladies were more interested in subtle designs and that my designs would be better marketed towards a younger teenage crowd.

As you can see from the stall photo above, we should have thought more about flooring. We actually didn't think about it at all so when we arrived we found these dirty plastic tiles which really didn't help the look of the stall. Next time I know to ask about the flooring and to bring a broom and mop, or my own flooring.


Anyhow for a first time selling at a market, I think it went pretty well. Lots that worked well and lots of new things to work on and consider. I will be applying in the next few weeks for a stall at the Mädchen Klamoten Flo Markt which is an awesome women's clothing and accessories flea markets that runs monthly. I'll update the events page once I get dates for those markets.

In the meanwhile do take a look at my Etsy shop and Facebook page for updates and sales.

Until next time.
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment